Division of Graduate and Professional School Counseling
Are you considering applying to graduate or professional school? Contemplating a change in career? Trying to line up the perfect internship? Or even just exploring the right kinds of work experiences to prepare for your future?
Over the past few years, many of our former students have returned to Main Line Tutorial for assistance with "the next step". For some of our students, that has meant applying to graduate and professional school, for others it has meant seeking out the right internship or employment to help build your résumé. Our team is trained to support you in a range of fields from pre-law, pre-med, and pre-business to academic careers in the humanities and social sciences. We offer counselors equipped with not only extensive experience as private counselors but also as active players in the field.
Initially, we limited our services to former clients. Last fall, however, we made our services available to new clients, enabling us to work with professional and graduate school applicants from across the country and around the world.
Our services include:
Personalized one-on-one GRE, LSAT, MCAT, and GMAT tutoring to help you raise your scores on an individualized basis. Our counselors can help you both identify (and improve on) your particular weaknesses and build on your strengths. Each student is different, and, by working with actual test materials and custom-tailored strategies, our tutors can help you feel more confident about and prepared for your examination experience. Our tutors provide a comprehensive approach focused on developing specific skills, familiarizing the client with the ins and outs of particular tests, and delivering supportive, consistent coaching.
Assistance with graduate and professional school applications, including personal statements, essays, and résumés.
There is certainly no single formula for a successful application essay. That said, our counselors will help you strike the balance between articulating your professional goals and sharing with the reader who you are, your personal aspirations, and why you are passionate about what you want to do. Our tutors understand the subtle differences between writing a focused letter of introduction, a personal statement, and specific essays required on applications. Our staff members bring a breadth of experience from academic and professional backgrounds, and they can work with you to find your voice as you move through the application process.
Graduate & Professional School Counseling
Our counselors will help you:
- Explore professional and educational options.
- Identify your career goals and the optimal path for achieving those goals.
- Select the right college academic courses, take the appropriate entrance exams, develop relevant activities and skills, and plan summer internships and work experience.
- Identify and evaluate appropriate graduate programs and departments and determine which ones have faculty, resources, and opportunities best suited to your needs and interests.
- Prepare applications, essays, personal statements (including research statements), and résumés that fully convey your qualifications.
- Identify and evaluate fellowships and other funding sources (primarily for Ph.D. applicants).
- Navigate the admissions process.
- Connect with the right graduate faculty to best support your interests and goals.
- Contact current students and employees to learn more about a program from an insider's perspective.
- Compare acceptances and fellowship offers.
- Transition productively from work or college to graduate or professional studies.